Native mode comeback

Native mode was an option present in GDEV 4 that was removed in gdevelop 5 to prioritize html5 games. However, native mode had some useful features that were removed in GDEV 5. As an example, native export does’nt needs to build using the build service. A blank game in native mode weighs only 9.8mb, while a blank game in html mode weighs 65mb. Native mode is much more convenient if you just want to export to windows. It would also provide more compatibility for GDEV4 games.

I think wanting to have a renderer that is more close to a native option is valid thing to ask for.

However, there are some things in the above post that need to be corrected:

You do not and have never needed the build service to build a desktop version of the game: Publish your game to Windows, macOS and Linux manually using Electron and Electron Builder - GDevelop documentation

This comparison isn’t really applicable because exports between GD4 and GD5 are going to be different sizes regardless, but yes, electron adds ~40mb to a build.

This is subjective and doesn’t actually mean anything tangibly for a feature request. As mentioned above the current method allows for windows builds just fine and with only 2 lines in a command prompt after you’re set up.

This one is a bit of an odd callout. GD4 has been end of life for roughly 3 years now, I’m not sure that this is relevant to the feature set of GD5.

All of the above said, a non-electron based export isn’t possible with the current rendering engine in GD5. PixiJS (and basically all JS engines) require something to make them renderable as an exe for desktop.

This would require a different framework to be built into GD5. Currently per the devs, this isn’t anything that is going to happen in the near future. However, some good conversations on options have been happening over here, you can follow along or join in to the discussion: Alternative Renderer Ideas and Options · 4ian/GDevelop · Discussion #2347 · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks! The size difference is the main thing that bothers me.

Totally understandable!

Just note that even if any of the options in that thread are adopted, you may see the smallest native export be larger, not smaller, than the electron builds.

If all that bothers you is the size of builds, you can use Tauri to package your game instead of electron.

Thank you very much!