MacOS Games Not Working

Hey, I’m using GDevelop 5 beta100 on my Mac, and whenever I export my game to MacOS and I open the zip file after exporting, it says “This application cannot be opened” It used to work for me, and I’ve tried downgrading ALL the way to beta95, but to no avail. Please fix this/ tell me what I’ve been doing wrong. Thanks!

(P.S I’m GoldenFox, but your activation mails seem to not work for iCloud, which I use, so this is a different email. This could also be a bug)

Someone reported this before, and we managed to work around that by using 7zip for extracting the zip

I think @4ian must have changed something on the GDevelop services that makes it host zip using non-standarized features.

I have NO idea what that means, but thanks for replying!

Hey!
I can help you with that…
As @arthuro555 said, after you download the zipped file that contains the mac app, do not double click on it on the mac, as it will unzip a corrupt file.
You would need to download an app called “The Unarchiver” (‎The Unarchiver on the App Store)
and after you download the zipped file, ctrl click on the zipped file and choose open with “The Unarchiver”…
this would decompress the file without having any issues with it…
Now to open the mac app the first time, you’d need to ctrl click on the decompressed file and choose open (double clicking would not allow you to open it since the app doesn’t have a certificate)… You’d need to ctrl click only the first time, after that the app would open without any issues by double clicking on it…

Ok, thanks! So, does everyone who downloads the game for Mac need to do this, or is it fine just sharing the download?

after you unzip the file using The Unarchiver, you can compress it again using Apple’s Native compressor and it would be fine…
I even tried uploading a non-compressed file to itch.io and itch.io compressed it, I downloaded it again and tried decompressing it and opening it and it worked…
So your users will be fine…

Just a heads up, I would add a readme file with the game that warns people that they should ctrl click/open the game the first time to be able to open it…

Cheers.

1 Like

Update: I think it seems to be working fine the normal way now!

Nope it is not working…
I don’t know if the problem lies in new version beta102… Tried to unpack it with Keka and The unarchiver, same result. Game just open and close with error and reopen button… You can check it yourself on Polytope Episode One: Tesseract by seraphi
Any clues?

EDIT:
I resolved the issue. You need to delete all extended attributes from the game folder.
In Terminal -
xattr -rc /path/to/directory