Hi, ashtray here

I just wanted to introduce myselfe to the community really quick.

I have been a hobbyist game developer for a few years now, mostly using java and sometimes javascript. I don’t have a lot of experience using engines like this, although I used unitly and godot for a bit.

I just found GD5 and really like the simplicity of it. I am looking forward to using it in the future!
The only problem I found is a lack of documentation. Most things are rather intuitive, so it is not that much of a problem. But if anyone has a general crash course I’d really like to read it.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

Have you had a look at the wiki?
http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gdevelop5/start

There are a few tutorials in there as well. I think most are under their own category, but there may be some scattered throughout the feature articles as well. You’ll find links to videos in there too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes thanks I have seen this!
I don’t want to sound like an ass, but these are a bit more shallow than what I am looking for.
Still a good starting point that helped me understand the engine a bit, but there are just so many things that aren’t explained in these examples.
Maybe I am just bad at looking for stuff though. :smile:

1 Like

You’re good! Most of us are in agreement that the docs and tutorials need more work. :sweat_smile:

Is there anything specific that you want to know how to do? Even if you give us a kind of ‘bucket list’ of things that you think need to be explained in more detail - someone should be able to help from there and maybe that will also lead to doc improvements. Otherwise we may end up going over things that you already know and missing things that you really want to know.

Well there have been a few things but the forum already helped me figure a lot out.
I still don’t quite get how you are supposed to structure your project in general. What I would need is a way to make events global, and not just the objects. Or have scenes that inherent from another scene.
I have all my game logic done now, but I am not sure how to make more levels from the ‘prototype’ scene.I don’t just want to copy it because any global change I would want to make late, I would have to do for every level separately.

Edit: I am also having trouble figuring out how to intigrate javascript code. Is there any documentation specifically on the functions you can call from there? There is also simple stuff like adding hitboxes to panel sprites.

I think that depends largely on what’s easiest for you. A lot of users have requested more organizational features, but they may or may not be on the Trello roadmap.

The easiest way to do that is probably to combine function/behavior extensions with external event sheets. You can also use external layouts for things like the GUI with a corresponding external event sheet, which can then be linked to any scene you want. As far as I know, there’s no other way to make anything inherit from other scenes.

Yeah, unfortunately, there’s no way around having to make some changes to every level separately, at least when it comes to unique settings for variables, sprite animations, etc. In some ways it is easier to just copy a scene and make small changes than having to redo it all from scratch.

For this one, there are several other members who are more knowledgeable in this area.

You might find more specific documentation on that here though:

http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gdevelop5/events/js-code
http://4ian.github.io/GD-Documentation/GDJS%20Runtime%20Documentation/

I’m not quite sure about this. I know that you can add hitboxes to the regular sprites, but I haven’t worked with panels much.

1 Like

Thanks!
From what I see here you still can only aply one scene per external event.
I guess the best way then would be using no events at all and doing everything with behaviours, because the objects can be global… if that is at all possible. I will look into it more tomorrow.

Once you apply it to one scene, you can still link it to as many others as you want :wink: