Undead Plague - Devblog

Hi everyone!
Some time ago I decided to create my first game. I love to draw and create stories but coding was too unintuitive for me. So when I found this engine I started trying it out immediately. After working on the project for some time I decided to share some work that I have done. I will keep updating this post so you can tag along for the ride, and hopefully help me improve the game with your ideas.

Before I talk about the game I would like to thank everyone in this community for being nice, helpful, and supportive. Being a part of such a community is a real joy!
Now about the game…

Undead Plague is meant to be short and sweet. The game is a story-driven platformer, with cutscenes, boss battles, easter eggs, side missions and dialogue options. The game centers around a knight who is on a quest to stop an evil, but dumb skeleton wizard.
All art and animations in the game are created by me, so it takes a long time, but I think the effect is worth it.
So far I have created: the main menu with animated buttons; 50% of the first level; different death screens (depending on the way the player dies, the death screen changes); and lots of different smaller things.

It would mean a lot to me if you could comment with your feedback. In this post, I will share some screenshots of the things that I have done so far. As soon as my university tasks are done, I hope to work some more on the game and hopefully release a demo soon.

Main Menu: the buttons, background, cape, and skeleton’s eye are animated

Death screen:

Some screenshots from level 1:

Thank You for reading! I hope you join me on this gamedev ride!

7 Likes

The art style looks great.
I always loved when gameplay, art and music comes from a solo dev. Everything fits together so well. I hope you will make one of those too.
I know this approach can take forever, but games like stardew valley and dwarf fortress are proof of concept. I wish you good luck and a lot of stamina & patience.
The start looks promising :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Slash! It means a lot! Your words are very encouraging, and I hope you stay along for the ride and watch the project grow :slight_smile:

I loved the lighting of the lamps. The art syle is so clean and refreshing to see. I really liked the way you manipulate the colors of each scene. Can’t wait to see more of you in the future.

1 Like

Cool graphics, looking forward to trying it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Thank you! I hope the demo will be out soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice, I love the graphics and the effects. I really want to play it when you post a demo! Will you post a video soon?

1 Like

Thank you! I will share a video or a demo as soon as I feel it’s ready. Can’t wait for your response to it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi guys!
As I have learned the hard way working on a game is not as fast as I would want. But I am not giving up. Since my last blog post, I continued working on the game, improving many areas, and adding levels. I don’t want to share too much cause I want you guys to experience this title on your own. But I have:

• reworked the entire game for better performance, which was not great due to large images
  • added parallax effect, which I am super proud of because I thought it would not work in this game
  • started working on cutscenes, close to finishing two of them ( they are a lot of work since I am fully animating them)
  • my friend made some awesome tracks for levels, menu’s, and cutscenes
  • I have remade the player character and added new animations like crouching
  • added an inventory system for collectibles
    It may seem like not a lot, but all of these things take time, and I want to get them right. Anyway I dropping two new screenshots, one from a new level, and the other from a cutscene in the game.
    I hope you guys stay here with me and tell me what you think! I will try to share my progress here more often, I hope…

4 Likes