Scene editor suggestions

this post has been edited: thanks, it works now.

Hello!

Just as a general heads up, B is already possible in the engine.

If you add an object to a scene, when you click on the newly created instance there is an “Animation” field in the properties panel. Setting this to an animation number (which starts at 0) will have that instance switch to that animation in the editor, and start with that animation whenever the scene starts.

D is already possible, or you need to open up a bug report with more detail on what you are experiencing. I have made numerous games and demos without any kind of flickering. The big thing is to use “center the camera on an object within limits” and set up some kind of “room” that defines the limits the camera can follow. You can see this in the Not-a-vania example in the engine for a platformer, the Top Down Adventure camera for a top down game, but I’ve also tried this with some examples with dozens of moving units even without behaviors and never seen any flickering. If this doesn’t solve whatever flickering you are seeing you should open up a big report thread with more detail.

As for the other suggestions, keep in mind that GDevelop is both for modern and retro-styled games, tile based and hand drawn/freeform. Most of the other features you described are the functions of a tilemap editor rather than a normal scene editor.

The good news is that even if those things don’t get implemented (and I’m not saying they will or won’t), there is already efforts being looked into integrating the LDtk tilemap editor, which will have the type of painting/tileset choosing or manipulation/etc that you are looking for in the other items listed.

1 Like