Improving GDevelop usability

I don’t say that the animations should be 1sec, but normally when you have a character that has its movements, you must put how many frames this movement has, as I showed in the video, the character there, has several animations, just insert how many frames each animation have what is correct. Now see, if I leave the FPS of any animation at 13 as the default, the animation would be really fast!

EDIT: What I meant is that GD could check how many frames the animation has and change it automatically.

>_> What you are changing here is not an amount of frames, there is no such thing in GDevelop. This is the FPS, the amount of Frames Per Second of the animation, aka it’s speed. Setting it to the amount of frame in the animation makes the animation last 1 second exactly.

Exactly, the default of 13 is much faster, it doesn’t last a second (0.0769)

I’m still not sure what you are asking. Nearly every 2D asset has animations at different framerates per set. Heck, some spritesets have different fps per animation of the same character. (Idle animation of 8 fps, attack animation of 12fps, etc.)

What exactly are you expecting GD5 to detect/modify? There isn’t an automated algorithm to know what the correct fps of the animation is meant to be.

1 Like

I just made a video demonstrating.

Think with me: my character has 2 animations, 1 with 4 frames and another with 6, correct?
All placed animation is set to default 13 frames. What I would like the GD to do is recognize these animation frames and set it automatically.

Hmmm… that’s not what your video is showing or what that field means. The field that FPS sets (the time on the right) means “what is the amount of time this entire animation should take to play”. It is also very dependent on your game framerate, and usually has nothing to do with the number of frames of animation you have in your single animation.

You can have a 20 frame animation but still only want it to be played at 15 frames per second, because the animation is meant to happen over more than 1 second.

Your animation having 4 frames doesn’t mean it should have a framerate of 4 in most cases, and your video shows that both of those animations seem too slow (to me) at the rates you’ve set.

I’ve now checked Defold, GMS2, and Unity, and none of them set “framerate to play the animation” to the same number as “number of frames in this animation” by default, and I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want them too.

5 Likes

Either the second or third last new update disallows minimizing the preview window through clicking on other programs via the task bar. Including the GDev console program. Would be nice to have that back as it makes real time debugging much easier. Thanks!

3 Likes

can we have a timer that is independant to the time scale ? it’s too complicated to implement your own functions everytime especially when creating games where precise timings are needed.

Use a scene timer and then use layer time scale events, instead of scene time scale events.

Add a Preferences switch to choose if Ctrl + Left Mouse or Shift + Left Mouse should be used to select multiple objects in the scene.

The thing is, in Windows, Photoshop Layers,… Ctrl is used to select multiple individual files and folders. But in Gdevelop, the object is copied to the same position and can lead to problems because it is not visible that 2 or 5 identical instances are now one above the other.

Please add some sort of timeline editor for built-in animations like in CocosStudio or something similar.

1 Like

Two things can be added in GD:

1 - Insertion of an automatic identification (ID) for each instance created: So whenever we create an instance of a given object, we would have an ID of its own for that deviated instance, and this would avoid creating an object ID variable.

2 - Possibility of being able to identify the object by the name of the animation as well as using number

3 Likes

global

Add a possibility to remove from global objects if you have mistakenly placed an object as such. This avoids having to delete the object and re-add it!

I assume that if there’s a specific warning for that, there’s a good reason for it.

This isn’t possible, because a project file doesn’t store a global object in all scenes, but in a general scope over all scenes. The scenes pick up the global object in a kind of parent scope.
If you remove a global object with the button of your mockup, all scenes using the global object will be broken because the reference to the object will be gone in the general scope.
Actually, a global object cannot be canceled for this reason.

Then the question is, how do you think the “Remove global object” button should act?

Remove the object from all scenes that have the object neither in the layout nor references to it in the event sheet, keep it in the others as a scene object?

*-Improve search and highlight results when searching for a condition/action/object/group *

Please add an option switch for that.
It’s not that helpful sry and it looks soo bad, especially in dark theme, because then the text has less contrast.

-Rework slightly the true/false and yes/no fields to make clearer they are switches

It looks worse to me, doesn’t fit with the rest of the design and the position in open event is worse.

Hi, a grid based layout of behaviors and extensions would make it easier to browse. I like to see what’s there and might not be searching for anything specific and there’s a lot of scrolling to see them all. Each behavior and extension could have its gorgeous icon, its name and depending on how you wanted to do it, a description below it or as a hover tip. And also, is there a place that lists when there’s extensions added?

2 Likes