Improving GDevelop usability

custom Hit Boxes are currently set to quadrilaterals - should this give me hope that sometime in the future the polygon can be set to handle more points? One of the puzzles I have to work on in the future will have hexagonals joined together:

making the use quadrilateral shaped hit boxes “interesting”.

Speaking of Hit Boxes - can you change the custom hit box window so that only the coordinates section scrolls? This will keep the shape visible and reduce the likelihood of a misplaced vertex.

Thanks

1 Like

For counter this you can add multiple quadrilateral in hitbox for create a hexagonals shape :wink:
My shape is ugly i know ^^

Thanks, @Bouh but one of the reasons I am interested in the enhancement is based on the attached graphic above - some of the shapes will take 20 quadrilateral shapes to properly cover.

@4ian On the Roadmap, you responded to my comment regarding Custom Collision Masks, saying that it was possible to have a mask with more than 4 vertices. How do you change the polygon type in the Hitbox dialog from Quadrilateral to another shape (e.g. octagonal)?

I felt that the forum was a better place to have this discussion so as not to clutter up the Roadmap.

Use this plus button:

Sorry it’s not clear, any changes on GitHub to add a message to make this clearer is welcome :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this qualifies as usability, but 2 functions that might be great to have is “Screen Pinning” and “Unpinning”. Seeing this feature in some games now. Would like to include it in the game I’m making for babies.

P.S: Thank you so much for GDevelop. It’s a boon for people like me who know nothing about coding.

I often tell myself “ah, it’s true, there’s no autofocus”. For example, I create a group. The next logical step is to name it. But I have to click on it to name it.
This is true for several actions.

There’s also something that bugged me while I was working on a behavior. I had to choose to which object events would apply, even though there was only one object possible (life cycle method where you cannot add parameters).

Yet another thing I thought: it would be much more convenient if the default color for text objects was black, considering that this is the most used colour, and considering that the default background is whitish-beige.

Yet another: Why does the object selection box appear so far away?

1 Like

One of the most annoying things in GDevelop for me!

Fixed for text object default color. For autofocus, I started a GitHub issue to track all the missing focusing:

For the object selection box, it’s centered on the container, I’ll see the change this!

1 Like

The main reason I think that most gd user leave it is they want to make money.and what’s the better way to make money by game if you know how to create them.this is mainly where gd fails.it is quite difficult to manage the game when it becomes too long. Is there any way to get your previous work done into a new scene(level).though it is one of the best non coding game engine it lacks some tutorials.only if it could have some tutorials it would be perfect for anyone to learn and master it.I could not tell you things it lack in specific words but I hope you got the point.good night here:-)

Sorry for bad English

My concept

1 Like

For disable group you can use right click on it and disable the events inside.
If you want todo this for your game just add a variable and add a condition for toggle all sub-event/Function.
Or wait this card but i think this feature is not really needed because it’s easy todo without.

Hitbox mode is already in roadmap.

Oh! thanks Bouh…Sorry I didnt know that before…and I didn’t find condition for toggle all sub-event/Function.
and if possible can you give me the pdf of keyboard shortcuts?

Not possible, no pdf exist ^^

1 Like

WELL OK…AND I didnt find the condition for toggle all sub-event/Function.

You have to add it manually with a variable.

Didn’t Understand any tutorial…

My (5 cents) suggestions:
Copy and paste more then one activities without moltiplicate (ex.select 2 acivities, CTRL C and with CTRV V I will create 2 new lines and not four)

Manage object hierarchy in GUI ( ex to manage different part of a body you create the head and put below the other parts). A lot of game engine do it.

Reduce the object dimension in the GUI. If you have a lot of object it’s difficult to manage them in the Interface.

More Javascript documentation

Possibility to copy the code and paste as written code (it should help us in the forum.It’s not simply manage the images)

sou do brasil e devo avisar que estou amando o Gdevelop,pois meu jogo esta ficando menos de 10megas,enquanto que o mesmo jogo no gamemaker e UNITY chega a 30megas ou pouco mais,e as vezes fica 20 megas deixando qualquer pessoa confusa de porque ser muito mega se minhas sprites nem chega a 10megas ,então quando eu tive a sorte de descobrir esta maravilha de engine Gdevelop fiquei satisfeito em recriar meu jogo nele e testar em android e pra minha surpresa e satisfação fica menos de 10 megas,só que a unica coisa que eu não gostei foi que apenas compila para android versão 5 e superiores,e não em androids inferiores como acontece no Gamemaker e Unity,pois meus jogos são voltados para celulares de todo tipo de publico alvo desde inferiores ao superior(atual),ou seja do android 2.3 ao atual. eu fiquei decepcionado com o Gdevelop apenas por causa disso pois eu havia criado quase todo meu jogo e ao testar em meu celular android 4 e não abre eu pensava ser erros meus ao criar o jogo,mas quando testei no android 5.1 do meu irmão o jogo foi sem problemas , e parabens pela humildade de querer sempre saber pelos usuarios desta engine oque melhorar e adicionar ao Gdevelop para sempre ficar melhor.