How far will GDevelop go?

Hello. I have a question: how far will GDevelop go? A lot of versions of this engine have already been released. I remember that earlier I was still sitting at about version 56, and again, about 72 versions were released. The progress on Github is especially noticeable: each version has a release date. It is interesting to know your opinion on this issue

2 years without Updates?

The development of GD was never so active. How long it is going to last, impossible to say.
Once the development was practically stopped for almost 2 years because there was nobody contributing and 4ian was also busy with other things. Unfortunately it can happen again any time really. So enjoy the updates as long it last, how long, it is not possible to say really.

Regarding version number, have no idea. There is no clear goal and roadmap set out, devs seems to pick random staff to work on. Not sure what is the plan. There is no real plan I guess. Just people get staff done randomly. Which I really appreciate after 2 years of darkness :+1:

But the truth is, the future is pretty uncertain :wink:

I’m going to speak for myself in this post.
I discovered GD almost 11 years ago through another forum of an indie game Moonkiroe.
I first contributed with a contribution on code documentationin 2015.
My biggest contribution is I think the video object this year in March-April.

I do mostly small fix and bug reports.

I learn a lot by creating and fixing things on GD, because 4ian’s code reviews are very understandable and useful!

When I have ideas, I try to put them on the roadmap or write them down as much as I can.

I did see a reduction in contributions, wasn’t it on the end of GD4 and the transition from GD4 to GD5?

I don’t know where GD will be in the future, the best indicator is the roadmap.
Even if some ideas are faster and do not go on the roadmap.

For my part, when I start making a contribution, I do it because.

• I feel I can do it, I have ideas about how to do it.
  • I know it’s going to be useful, or it can be.
  • I do it because it improves or simplifies.
  • I want to do it.

I have a lot of review on my code at the moment, it takes a little time, in any case I learn a lot.
I have a lot of code waiting right now.
After theses code I don’t know if I go on another contribution or not just after.

Sometimes I start features that seem simple to me and in fact it’s not easy to do haha.
But it’s fun and it’s cool to see people using them!

If I have other things on my mind for the future for me it’s :

• Make a complete tab to write javascript.
  • Review and add things about shaders.
  • Enlarge the points/hitboxes editing windows.

I’ve never contributed so much this last year =)

This is a very good game making engine. I really hope it can continue to be used by more people.

When more people use it, the software can get rapid development, and developers can get rich resources and rewards.

Hope gddevelop 5 is getting better and better!

First, thanks Bouh for sharing your experience! :slight_smile:

Transition from version 4 to 5 meant less feature and innovation because:

• it was necessary to rebuild quite a lot of things (basically the whole interface) for GDevelop 5. But it’s a strong basis that can let us go for at least a few years now without (hopefully) a major rewrite :slight_smile:
  • As I was also working on a large game, so it meant again fewer updates. Though having a large use case is always good to see where the software is not scaling/not working properly and can be improved. Ideally, as a developer you want to have a mix of both developing and using your software.

There is no strong direction right now for a few reason, mainly because things get decided “organically” as the demand evolves, also because there is no fixed work schedule from me or other contributors on GD, and also because I’m always looking for update things/needs/solutions so what might be a priority today might not be in 1 month.

But what I can say is that the number of users on GDevelop can be counted in terms of dozens of thousands every month and this number keeps growing!

My main concern is to keep this number growing - more user and more popularity will help making the community stronger, more tutorials/resources and potentially more contributors. And more games made with GDevelop :wink: At the end it’s good for everyone.

I want to find the good “market fit” that will make GDevelop sustainable for a lot of years to come.
While I’m doing this, I appreciate a lot what the community is doing, and contributors like @bouh, @blurymind and anyone contributing with new feature, or tutorials, or example games (@ddabrahim made a tons of those that are bundled with the software, and they are launched hundred of times every day). It’s the small details and additions that make a big difference at the end.

GDevelop will go as far as the community can grow and help the software evolves :slight_smile:

Maybe one day we will become like godot and make gdevelop a full time job :stuck_out_tongue:

In any case it is an absolute pleasure to work on hobby. The codebase is wonderful and I have learned a lot just by contributing and getting review notes from @4ian
If updates are a bit slow, its because they are done on weekends or whenever some free time is available. In that way really its life stream is the community. Everyone who joins and starts contributing to it is very much appreciated.

I would invite everyone reading this to come and have a look at the github repository. See if you want to poke around the source code, improve something small or big, report a bug, etc

May I ask what’s your workflow like when editing the source code. Or maybe the tools you’re using. I really like Gdevelop and would love to contribute. But sometimes making sense of other peoples code is daunting.

Well sure :slight_smile:

First of all you get a nice code editor. My first one was notepad ++, then quickly moved to sublime and finaly visual studio code

Its free and is the best one for this imo. It may look a bit overwhelming with all those menus and options, but in the end its just a text editor with a terminal. Then next thing you do is install nodejs

I recommend getting the LTS version
Also install git and gitkracken

https://git-scm.com/

If you dont have a github account, make one. All of the stuff btw is free, only thing you pay with is time and patience.

So you go to gdevelop’s git repo

and hit that button at the top right - the one that says Fork.
Now you have your own copy of the entire game engine, but its in the cloud. You need to now get it.

You run a command to do that

git clone https://github.com/YOU/GDevelop.git
(the git url address is found when clicking the clone or download button)
will download it for you and finally you will be able to compile it from source and run it in development mode.

The next part is pretty easy. You drag and drop the folder that git clone created into vscode’s window. Then you open a terminal (vscode has a built in one) and cd to the app folder.
When in there run “npm install” - this will build gdevelops web app. When done run “npm start” this will run it live.
While it is running, open another terminal in vscode and do the same in the electron folder.
Only instead of npm start, for electron it is “npm run electron-windows”.
If you get it working, you can do changes on its source code while it is running and see them happen in front of you. In the app folder, try to change the name of a button, try to find some code that makes a specific button appear, start digging into the js files. Change stuff and see what happens.

Thats how you can wet your appetite, but to really feel confident, not only experiment, bust start watching some youtube videos on js programming. Everything you need is free on the internet :slight_smile:
If you get stuck, drop us aline, well try to help

Your comment is really helpful. Thank you for being so thorough, I really appreciate it.

Btw, I’m already familiar with javascript/react so I’ll start messing as soon as possible.

Thank you @KeGaMo
For more experienced users such as yourself, I can give some pointers or where some of the useful stuff is:

newIde/app - where the code newIde app is - if you want to change the IDE, this is the folder
newIDE/app/public/external - this is where all external editors live - as well as their wrappers for GD
extensions - if you want to create a new js extension this is the folder. Best approach is to find a simple js extension in it, make a copy of it and start changing it. If you wanna add a new feature to the game engine - this is the folder

In any case, if you get stuck, dont hesitate to drop a line here or at github. If you open a Pull request even for something that doesnt work yet, we will help you progress if you are stuck :slight_smile:

I want to just say again that you (the users) truly own gdevelop and can add your ideas to it. Unlike the other event sheet engines out there, this one you can extend, fix, improve. We have the source code and it’s up to us to make it awesome. You want a feature really bad? You can absolutely make it happen, regardless of you javascript experience.

When I first started contributing I didnt know javascript or react. I worked at an office - a boring office job. But I love GD, so I started following it on github. Whenever someone added a new feature, I looked at the diff - the files they changed. That sort of started giving me an idea how it works. I also did some free online programming courses. So then I gave it a try - by contributing in very simple ways. My first PR was to add autofocus to the event sheet dialog when you open it, so you can start searching right away. Florian helped me all the way and is very patient in reviewing all PRS.
Long story short, thanks to Gdevelop and my interest to improve it, I managed to get enough programming experience in javascript, react, electron and other things gdevelop uses - enough to get a much more interesting programming job.
If you contribute to gdevelop, the experience you gain from doing it is valuable, it is very likely to help you get a job as a programmer somewhere. It’s a hobby, but you can turn it into a living if you stick around. And its a heck of a more fun and interesting than a boring office job, trust me on that :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone who is not a programmer, you can absolutely contribute and you are contributing already if you have reported a bug or even in using the engine. By making cool things with it, you are exposing more people to it

Wow, your comments are very impactful. And your story really hit home. Even tho I’ve just finished my business admin degree, somehow I ended up building a website for a small Real estate agency, and I’ts been really enjoyable so far.

I really hope I can find a way to contribute, with my amateur coding.