How do I Implement DLCs in Gdevelop?

Hello fellow devs. I would like to have extension packs for my game as Downloadable Content(DLC) and I would like insight on whether you think I would be able to implement this
with Gdevelop. I have seen that Gdevelop has a way to go to a link and also use the get and post methods of programming and I think that would be helpful in implementing DLCs but I haven’t done this before so if any of you has been succesful in implementing such I would appreciate if you provided me with insight or point me to the right direction,or whether or not you think its possible.Thanks

1 Like

What might be easier is instead of downloading new content, the game comes with all the content but unlocks it for the player once a purchase has been confirmed. This tutorial gives an example of using http requests.

1 Like

@Joshua Thank you so much for pointing me to this direction.I never thought of this before.Cheers.

1 Like

That is no DLC, but paid content or micro transactions. A DLC is DOWNLOADABLE, not preincluded in the game files and unlockable.to do that, create a programm (the dlc) that unpacks the game files, adds the downloaded code and files, and repack everything.

1 Like

Thank you for this insight,Could you by Any chance have a link or point me to a place that describes how to do that?

For an automatic patcher that adds the patch, it depends on wich platform. On android you will have to make it an update apk, because to patch it would require root and 90% of your users will probably not have it, and ios hasn’t got any such features as far as I know. For PC, it is more easy tho. You need to distribute your game as a zip or to know where it installs the game files, find in the game files “app.asar”, unpack it using this packaging tool, unpack the patch assets (images and data), use a patch software to detect already applied patches (or a checksum), choose an adequate version of the patch to prevent discarding the older patch and patch the files, and rename the app.asar in app.asar.bak and repack with the same packaging tool the app.asar.

2 Likes

Wow this is incredible info.Let me try this out and see how it goes.

Hey @Odrian did you got that working ?

Unfortunately I havent had any success.