GDevelop name feedback and ideas

Just leaving my thoughts here☺️,

Before I jump into the main part of this I just want you to know that, at the moment i don’t have a name in mind.

Firstly the name GDevelop and its logo are great for an engine with such UI. To me I think the main reason why the GDevelop team has proposed a name change is to get something more professional, which is great. Let’s keep in mind that the name we choose should in some way reflect the UI, The UI plays a huge role in making a game engine look professional

e.g

Unreal engine having a UI like that of GDevelop.

So in our quest for a new and professional name we should also consider a new UI. :innocent:

Merry Christmas :tada:

3 Likes

Agree, especially with the 3rd party integrated tools like Piskel and Yarn. The look and feel is very inconsistent and some places straight ugly or not very intuitive. The plan to run GDevelop on tablets and touch devices did also had a great influence over the UI despite desktop always been the primary target. Maybe it is something 4ian should also reconsider if he really want to run GDevelop on tablets.

Maybe because I am getting old and lazy and also because tablets becoming more capable both hardware and software, couch computing becoming more and more attractive to me. Sitting at the desk and using keyboard and mouse just feels less and less inspirational somehow. So maybe it is something worth considering too for the distant future.

1 Like

We keep the name GDevelop.
Nevertheless, on a personal basis, I am amazed at the excitement and imagination you have so I continue to read this topic.

Oh, so that means I won? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sad :cry::cry:, I wanted a new name

1 Like

Lol, but not for long :yum::yum::yum:

i will still call it GlippyDevelop forever

1 Like

Stumbled upon this post and couldn’t resist chiming in! GDevelop’s name got me thinking, and while it’s a mouthful, it sure does stand out from the crowd. It’s got a catchy ring to it, but maybe something punchier could hit the nail on the head. How about shortening it or adding a bit more flair? Just food for thought.

On another note, I recently came across this interesting article on maximizing visibility https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/maximizing-visibility-top-estate-planning-attorney-seo-gerrid-smith-p7a1c/ . It got me thinking about how we can make sure GDevelop stands out in all the right places.

All in all, what are your thoughts on keeping the name as is or tweaking it a bit for more zing? Let’s get the ball rolling and brainstorm some ideas!