Game is taking very long time to load

Yes my game is gradually becoming slower and slower to load, though I think for me it may have to do with the fact that I added hundreds of pngs to it recently. The errors may also be contributing to it but I’m not certain. The part of the loading that’s getting slower for me is the part that happens after all of the errors are done (when it’s displaying the load percent).

And yeah, that’s what it looks like to me too but so far I’ve failed to locate the actual culprits. I guess all I can do is keep looking lol

@silverstreak I had thought that might be the case, but for whatever reason now when I click one of those links, the entire developer tools interface freezes until I restart Gdevelop. It’s very odd

I have a lot of PNGS too and since I’m building for PC, they are large, but even optimizing them barely touched the slow loading time. Instead it looks like correcting for the errors seems to be helping.

I’m noticing in the last hour of looking at this that this has to do with syntax. I use a lot of damage numbers, and so I’m either not putting " " around numbers where there should be text, or putting in too many ". This will take a while to find and pinpoint the error.

Do you have a lot of damage numbers?

The other issue I think might be in assigning objects to layers. I suspect that I might have put objects on incorrectly labeled layers. I.e., on

misc

rather than

“misc”

So you can check that out and see if that might be the issue as well. Looks like my only option is to go through every line until I find the issues, lol.

Thank for the suggestions! I don’t have a combat system in my game but I do have large lists/databases of items which involve a lot of numbers so it’s possible there’s something I’m overlooking in them. I’ll double check my layers in events as well because I can see myself missing the "s too lol

So I spent all day going over the code yesterday and while I did find some mistakes, I only managed to bring the loading time down by half and still have a ton of errors which I can’t pinpoint, so loading is still very long. It’s possible it’s just that my code isn’t optimized enough or is just way too cluttered for GD to manage, so I’m gonna keep plugging away.

I’m actually timing the scene starts, isolating the problematic externals, then narrowing it down to problematic groups. No pain no gain I guess.

Can you say what your game is doing, is it doing procedural generation, A lot of maths(and for what), etc…?