Extensions Team updates and discussion (October 2021)

As we now have a partially complete team system proposal, I suggest implementing this system just for the extension team and see how it goes, report the flaws, and improve. And after 2 weeks we could get all the contributors together and make the needed changes and see if this is viable and partially roll out the system to all teams and continue improving it for the next month.Or else, this will continue to be a proposal and won’t have any significant movement and will soon become stale

2 Likes

If people are satisfied with the current state of the proposal sure, but I’d rather wait for some feedback from Entropy & other community members before we do that, since no one really seemed to say they do are satisfied with the proposal.

Besides, we also need to determine who could count as part of the extension team, and ask those person if they are willing to join it.

I’d say at least @Add00, @Bouh, @VegeTato, Davy, and FlokiTV are definitely fit for being part of the team if they wish to.
I think @UlisesFreitas may also be a good fit but i am not as sure

2 Likes

thanks for suggesting me to be in the team, i would love to be part of the extension team for sure :3
i agree with the ideas that got suggested here in the topic, and big thanks to everyone who shared their opinion & suggestions in here, we do really need an improvement in the (extensions accepting & reviewing system), and i feel a big improvements coming after reading the ideas/suggestions this topic :smiley: ,i just want to mention that in the new submitted extensions ,a Clear explanation of what that extension can do and can be used for, is a MUST, many times i tried to review the submitted extensions but i always fall in not understanding whats the point of that extensions and what dose it really do? and how it can help the user of that extension ? ,the example also must be clear to understand for anyone who want to take a look, this will help others to review the extension.

another subject:
i would like request a (comment/blog/independent page) that clearly states the Extension team rules or things to be aware of, because in this topic there is a huge ideas and suggestions been negotiated, so i kinda feel lost of what a member of the extension team can do, and things to be aware from (if not now, in the future).
Thank you :3

3 Likes

I’d gladly be apart of any extension team :+1:.

3 Likes

Should we give this system a try, setting up permissions to users being in the team and see how it goes?
We should start simple and still ensure everyone in the respective team (leaders in particular) have enough time to have a decent impact :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess, since no more feedback is being given.
I have cleaned up the proposal a bit again to try and make it more readable.

Here is a checklist of all that is needed to implement the proposal in it’s current state for the extension team on the top of my mind:

• ✓ Add discord roles for team leaders and members & assign them to the users
  • × Add forum group & titles for the team members and leaders & assign them to the users (you can find the usernames in this topic :wink: )
  • × Add GitHub team for extensions team leaders with push on all branches permissions (usernames: arthuro555, tristanbob)
  • × Add GitHub team for extensions team members with push on all branches except main permissions (usernames: D8H, Bouh, Add00, VegeTato)
  • × Make an announcement channel on discord for the team
  • Make some sort of announcement to the community explaining what’s the deal with this new “extension team” (and telling them they can join if they wish to :wink: )
1 Like

Maybe the announcement should be made later. This is a test run, it won’t affect the community much if at all. And there is a chance this might not work out great (Hopefully it works out). Something’s that’s nor finalized or confirmed to exist shouldn’t be announced. An announcement can be made when this is officially rolled out to the teams also inviting contributors to join

1 Like

Good call, removed that from the Todo list

1 Like

I want only one announcement channel.
If an announcement has to be made, whisp or ping someone from the GDevelop team for it.

1 Like

Announcement is maybe a bit of an overstatement, the way I picture it is more about posting quick updates (like when an extension is added or something like that), and that would bloat the main announcement channel which is made for, well, announcements not many quick updates.

1 Like

A single announcement would be great, #updates would be a better name (Not the best name). Where all the team leader can make updates about new members, new extension,examples,asset packs (like how arthurro suggested), new wiki page (?) changes related to teams. More than a single update channel would bloat the server in my opinion

2 Likes

I think that would be a nice compromise indeed

1 Like

I’m creating teams and inviting people on GitHub :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have:

• Created an Extensions Team and an Examples Team on GitHub.
    • I’ve invited people listed here for the extensions team.
    • I’ve invited Arthuro555, Bouh and @Midhil for the examples team.

Both teams have write permissions on their respective repositories. Please don’t abuse this and always tag me (or the “team lead”) for now or get approvals before merging something :slight_smile:
Let’s start cautiously. Also let me know if I forgot someone.

You’ll need to accept the invitation on GitHub. @arthuro555 I believe we could set up an “Examples team” on Discord too.

As with everything in the community:

• Your participation in a team is not a full time job, but still implies a bit of your spare time. If you don’t have the time anymore, just ping me to get removed (please don’t burn out!).
4 Likes

The teams have been in trial for nearly a month now. Could we now discuss any improvements that could be done and fully roll it out?