[Extension][Deprecated] Keyboard for mobile

I’d be keen to understand how you’ve done this if you’re willing to share?

Frustratingly i’d got Bouh’s version working on android via a web browser, but that doesn’t work in Facebook Instant Games so it looks like i’m going to have to take this approach if I want text input in the app!

Hi @Bouh - thought i’d chip in here instead of Github…

So I got the example working - and in pure JavaScript on a webpage this works a treat…

…However if a game is published to Facebook Instant Games - the keyboard never shows up.

I suspect that Facebook forces some sort of overdraw to bring it to the front and so it never shows.

Maybe the only way to do this consistently is this suggestion and actually create it’s own UI?

Something akin to GitHub - hodgef/simple-keyboard: Javascript Virtual Keyboard - Customizable, responsive and lightweight inside a GDevelop extension?

I know i’m not experienced enough to port it in right now, but I think something like this would be a good idea and i’d be happy to work on it with someone as i’ve got a need to get something working anyway…

…Thoughts?

I has the idea, but to do so would require the import of a new library.
If we can avoid importing a new one it’s better, this avoid having to support them and update them.

This idea made me think of another one.
Use directly an element of the DOM over the canvasa and manipulate it from GD as an object.

This mean my virtual keyboard extension will be outdated, and the inputs will be directly in GD as object, for the greatest good of everyone :slight_smile:

I’ll be honest, not sure what that means exactly but i’d be happy to help…?

hi @Bouh
The Virtual Keyboard does not open on my android phone.
i just installed the extension via extension search.
Behavior is attached to my text entry object, and the object is in the scene.
The keyboard does not open, nether in my exported app, nor in wifi preview.
andoid-version of my phone is 6.0.1

i imagine it might have something to do with invalid access, but how do i give the app the permission to open the keyboard?
Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

edit: no longer needed, i made my own.
But still, the extension did not work for me.

Personally, I think this extension is pretty nice and that it would be neat to revive it. My proposition would be as follows:

• On the browser, there is simply no good way to achieve this. Let’s use simple-keyboard there, as it is a clean option that should work everywhere.
  • On cordova exports, let’s use cordova-plugin-ionic-keyboard to access the native keyboard. It’s maintained by the ionic team so it should be a pretty clean plugin. Additionally, we already use cordova-plugin-ionic-webview in GDevelop, and this plugin was designed to work especially well when using this webview.
4 Likes

My last attempt with this deps was not successful.
The keyboard doesn’t stay open.

https://witly.fr/extensions/keyboard_apk.zip