Default installer behavior is odd

Greetings

I find the current installer behavior of silently installing Gdevelop (or games built with it) on Windows very unusual. I would never want to install any executable files in “Users” folder, the installer should always ask where to install, or at least install in an appropriate location (“Program Files”).

Furthermore, if I run two instances of Gdevelop, the second one will load bypassing all of my customization, including not downloading an update. So Gdevelop keeps downloading the new versions each time two versions are run simultaneously.

Hello!

Installing to the users folder is common for apps that exclusively install for the current user and not all users. It is also the default for pretty much anything packaged with the nsis installer, like GDevelop is. Installing to other locations can sometimes require elevated privileges, so I think the goal is to avoid that. While you may not have encountered it before, it is definitely not uncommon nor unusual.

That said, I think there are build options to enable users to select an install location, so the contributors and dev team might look at this if that is something they are willing to enable.

As far as your other question, GDevelop is not designed to have multiple instances running at the same time, and as far as I know there aren’t any plans/intentions to change that.

3 Likes

Thanks! I understand this better now. Still I think it would be better to least tell the user that the installer is going to install in the “Users” folder and ask if they want to proceed. And you are right, I haven’t encountered this behavior before, mostly because I try to avoid installers and prefer Zipped archives.