[Completed] Event or keyboard shortcut to disable the menu in preview

Hey All,

We’ve seen a lot of people on the discord having issues due to distortion/sprite scaling issues. It seems like most of these are when fullscreening/maximizing their game in preview and the menu bar + title bar when maximized, (or menu bar in fullscreen) are causing the games to be at odd resolutions, leading to weird scaling.

It seems like we really need a way to hide and/or disable the menu bar during preview. I think an event or setting for this would be super useful.

Now, this shouldn’t matter as the resolution resize options should just add bars on the sides to ensure the aspect ratio stays the same in most cases, but I think there’s a bug there that I’ll post in the bug reporting forums. Hiding the menu bar would give users a true preview that behaves the same as it does when exported.

I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, obviously, but it seems like it’d be super useful.

2 Likes

Bumping this feature request

I’ve had some more discussion with @Bouh on this, and it sounds like this isn’t something that can be done via a player extension as it has to do with GDevelop’s main electron setup.

Just wanted to call this out again to @4ian due to the electron menu bar impacting fullscreen/large resolution games, causing graphics/text become distorted. This drives a lot of confusion/troubleshooting for users on the discord.

It’d be great if there was an event (or preference option) to disable this on previews, to make the previews accurately represent the compiled game appearance.

Fair enough. I think there was something done to remove this menu bar in the past (@arthuro555, @bouh might remember? It’s a “simple” call to set the menu to null in Electron) but this was also preventing the debugger to be opened. Might be worth having an option in the preferences maybe?

All I remember is that we removed it from full non-preview builds after it got enabled by default in an electron update

The submenu was removed in a test build of the bitmap PR.
Here my post about how disable it.

I remember also a cool option with Electron autoHideMenuBar to include where is setup the Title of the window preview.

There is more and more peoples on Github since few days if an issue is open with my info, and how it should be added (in preference tab ) we can add a tag “Good first issue”.

Done here: Add a preference to show the menu bar in previews · Issue #2190 · 4ian/GDevelop · GitHub :slight_smile: