Card Game App GÖRTAN UPDATE / PreAlpha Testbuild V0.060 coming up


#21

Hotfix is coming tomorrow. P2 fireball does not deal dmg to hero.


#22

Hotfix is up. If anyone finds anything that might be a bug, please report.
The new selection system is implemented, and i did not encounter the Handcards overlapping Bug anymore (seems fixed). E: Nope that freaking bug is still a thing, AARGH.
For some reason i cannot reliably reproduce that bug, which is why its so annoying to fix (im just not sure what happens exactly).
Charge attack seems working 100% as intended now.

Plans for the next update:
More bugfixing,
Particle Effects instead of Animations for spells.
Redesign the sound for magic stat increase, and a sound for mage unit attacks (same soundeffect as shooter atm). Also improve the sound of Firebolt. hopefully a Theme song for the Undead Faction (The music atm belongs to the Sylvian Faction)
Ability and Type icons for the cards. Eventually text overlay when a card is inspected.
Hero Ability, other than draw and increase stats.
Spells that kill creatures (2, 1 at the end of turn, and 1 instant kill).
AOE dmg spells.
Creatures with magic resist/immunity and Physical resistance (ghosts/Rock thingys), halfing the dmg rounded down of Magical or physical spells/attacks. 1Magic resist and 1 physical resist creature is implemented already.
Deckcounters (displaying how many cards in the deck is left), and also deactivate Glow of decks, when 0 cards in it (that seems to confuse alot of people atm).

I updated the Opening Post with a Windows version too, if somebody prefers to play it on PC. Keep in mind, this game is specifically made for Phones, so it is pretty small on PC.

Oh boy oh boy, i just cannot get over it yet, how absolutely awesome particle effects look.
I have the transition from animation to particle effects done, and tested it on phone.
Its freaking brilliant :heart_eyes:


#23

so i just played a couple of hours, and did not encounter any bugs (except with the return button, which will be gone soon anyway). My hope, that i dont have any major bugs left is high. The Fireball is now epic looking, fully integrated and likely bugfree.
so its time to add some new stuff!

Yey, my first selfmade particle effect:
lightning
lightning2


#24

So i am fairly convinced by now, that i managed to get rid of all the bugs!

And i need some advice here:
when i was working with my particle effect system, i found it looked a little silly when the effects affect the whole board, including the Hands (like its flat part of the board, that the player lay ther hand on the table).
So i tried to put the Hands on top of the Board, unaffected by Particle effects, which looks better, but also has another issue.
The board is now 200px high and the effects make me realize how small the board actually is. when the Particles affect the whole screen, its not that noticeable.

Here a comparison:


So what do you guys think? What is better?

  • Hand affected by Particle
  • Hand not affected by Particle

0 voters


#25

I’d say it depends. The first one look better with hand but the second looks better without the hand.


#26

Still no more encounters with any bugs.
I managed to improve the overall Performance by a good chunk, by getting rid of redundant conditions, with a tradeoff of readability. :slight_smile:

I was also able to improve the response time for my overloaded “Touch Actions” by releaving it with a “Handjob” :smirk:

Next version will come up soon!

E:
New effect:
poison1
poison2

Poisoned creatures loose Health equal to their poison counters at the end of each turn.


#27

hopefully, i will continue on this project one day.
as of now, it takes like 5-10minues to boot up, so testing and any further development is a pain.
and having the game running twice on this dinosaur of a pc is pretty much impossible, so i cannot work on the P2P matches. So This project is on hold.
The temporary testbuild V0.6 link will expire soon. That build has the dragable behavior on, which is not supposed to be, and the last spell i made (ice cross) only works for Player 2.
i will make a stable version and permalink later, before im gone for a while. this version will include the first treasury item, a healing potion.


#28

The deckbuilder is on the way.
And i managed to implement a sorting system, without any function to actually sort any cards with the help of smart structured variables.


#29

Excuse me, but… is this just a typo in the first post’s text “Build V0.06…” :flushed:? Actually, one word should be written like “coming”.

P.S: just correcting


#30

No, 0.06 is correct. It was a typo in the link with 0.6


#31

I mean this:

but anyway okay


#32

This project looks seriously good, I can help you with testing P2P matches if you can share a build for macOS, Windows, Linux or Android. What could be done is create a smaller project maybe dedicated to test P2P with placeholder assets, no music, sound, only few cards included maybe with basic logic, no need the full card game logic to help with loading time, keep the size small for upload…etc. This way you could test P2P and implement it in to the full game once it works. If you can’t still run two instances of it you can PM me either the project or compiled game and I can confirm what is working and what is not.


#33

thank you for your offer. i will massage you about it, when i work on the p2p.
and yes, i am able to work on the deckbuilder, because i stripped everything not related to it away, so i can effectively work on it. i will do something similar for 2p2 aswell.


#34

I understand you, my game takes about 3 minutes to start and then about 1 minute to load (my pc is old and needs his retirement). your work looks great, hope I can play it soon.


#35

The Deck Builder is taking shape nicely.
It’s the most complex thing i have done so far with GD. I assume it should work in like 2 days. And then i have to change my gamelogic to work with the new variable structure … That’s gonna be a pain to do, considering how inefficent the search&replace funktions work :frowning:

Edit:
Since I couldn’t figure out how to rename inbetween nested structures, I did some banana coding, to Keep them numbered correctly (counting upwards from 1).
I delete an entire card type tree and rewrite it in correct order with the object variables.
Looks disgusting & involves 2 different loops. But it works and is decently fast, fast enough, if i cap each decksize (creature/Spell/Armory) to 30 cards, as i planned.

TL:TR: the Deck Builder is working!

Update:
Deck manager & deckbuilder is done!
Now I hope the export is working, so I can test it on phone.


#36

Here a little sneak peak of how the deckbuilder is working for now.
seems i have to make my own keyboard, since the keyboard extension doesnt work for me :confused:

Gif with reduced size and quality:
deckbuilder

Deckbuilder menu: Select, create, delete & rename decks
deckb1
Custum keyboard

The Collection. All the cards, you own are here. a copy of a Card cannot be shared between decks.
deckb2

The Filter options for the collection (i removed it from the decks, so you see when you have illegal cards in your deck). If you add a hero to your deck, the Filters for cards, that would be illegal to add, are deactivated automatically.
deckb3

The decks. GÖRTAN can be played with 3 different decks. Creatures, Spells and Treasury cards have ther own Decks. If you have illegal cards in your deck, they are shown in red, and you wont be able to play with the deck.
deckb4

I’m getting a little exited.
If I get the p2p connection to work, add a rarity value to the cards and make booster backs to open, i can call it alpha!


#37

booster

Booster pack design test.
What do you think? is it weird to go for a realistic booster look in a digital cardgame?
i am even thinking of making a cool pack opening animation.

as for the mechanic design:
i am making cards in rarity groups. Common/uncommen/rare/epic
6 cards in a pack.
3 common
1 uncommon
1 50/50 chance uncommon/rare
1 50% chance of uncommon 35% chance of rare 15% chance of epic.


#38

The Booster Packs are now working and I litterly spend an entire day, just to make the Pack opening feel satisfying. Maybe a celebraction jingle when a new card is pulled could be added.
I even animated the “zip the Pack open” in blender to get the right curlover effect.
I’ll post a gif tomorrow.

Getting 1 step closer to the alpha release :smiley:

low qualy gif:
boosterpacks
i added the function to scip the card inspection part, but you still have to open pack by pack. i am considering adding a button to open all packs at once, but that would somewhat ruin the classic card game feel.

higher quality gif:
boosterpackshq


#39

I am currently testing a foil effect for the rare and epic cards.

C11018-H C11015-H

maybe i should just use a single overlay animation, to keep the game smaller, but handmade ones for each card just looks so much nicer.

E:
Implementation of the foil cards was a little trickier then expected because i need to treat them as a separate card for card handling, but as the same card for internal logic.
But I got it working now, and I have to add:
Looks darn pretty :slight_smile:

I’m going with unique foil effects for each card.
Gives them a more personal touch.

Here is why i go for unique effects:

C13002-H

C13004-H

C13006-H

this way can can tickle out the most of the design of the cards :slight_smile:

I am also planning on assist the dopamine production a little, by implementing a “waiting” mechanic.
Since you can reveal the cards you got out of a booster pack manually on touch,
i plan on implementing a timer. The timer starts when 5 out of 6 cards are revealed.
if the timer is > 2 seconds i play a drum roll sound effect.
if timer > ~10 seconds, i increase the chance of the card to be foil from 10% to 20%.